If you’re a digital agency owner, e-commerce merchant, or online entrepreneur managing a remote team, you know how important it is to keep your team members engaged and motivated. But with remote work comes the challenge of building and maintaining connections among team members who are working from different locations, time zones, and even countries.
That’s why virtual team-building activities are essential for fostering a sense of connection and belonging among remote workers.
Do you manage a remote team of digital professionals or e-commerce merchants? If so, you likely know the struggles of keeping your team members engaged and motivated while they work from home.
According to a survey by Buffer, remote workers are more likely to feel disconnected and isolated from their team members than in-office workers, with 20% saying that loneliness is their biggest struggle.
This is where virtual team-building activities come in.
Virtual team-building activities can improve employee retention and productivity. By fostering a sense of connection and belonging among remote workers, businesses can increase employee satisfaction and motivation, which can drive higher productivity and reduce turnover rates.
But what kinds of activities are effective and practical for remote teams?
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of virtual team-building activities, provide practical ideas and insights for planning and implementing these activities, and share success stories and case studies from businesses that have implemented these activities.
But before we dive into the solutions, let’s take a closer look at the problems that remote teams face and why virtual team-building activities are needed to solve them.
The Challenges of Remote Work: Why Virtual Team-Building Activities are Needed to Solve Them
Remote teams face unique challenges that can impact their productivity, engagement, and overall well-being. One of the biggest challenges is the lack of face-to-face interaction and communication that can lead to feelings of isolation and disconnection from team members.
In addition to remote workers citing loneliness as their biggest struggle, 19% also cited communication and collaboration issues as a major concern.
Other challenges that remote teams face include the difficulty of building relationships and trust without in-person interactions, the lack of clear boundaries between work and personal life, and the potential for miscommunication and misunderstandings due to differences in language, culture, and time zones.
These can lead to decreased productivity, higher turnover rates, and lower job satisfaction among remote team members.
To address these challenges, businesses need to create a positive work environment and culture that fosters connection, communication, and collaboration among remote teams. Hence, the importance of virtual team-building activities for businesses employing remote teams.
By providing remote team members with opportunities to connect, collaborate, and build relationships with one another, virtual team-building activities can help overcome the challenges of remote work and create a more engaged and productive workforce.
In the following sections, we’ll explore some practical virtual team-building activity ideas and insights that can help you foster a sense of connection and belonging among your remote team members.
The Benefits of Virtual Team-Building Activities (in Managing Remote Teams)
Virtual team-building activities offer many benefits for remote teams.
One of the biggest benefits of virtual team-building activities is that they can help create a positive company culture.
According to a study by Deloitte, company culture is one of the top five factors that contribute to employee satisfaction and engagement. By fostering a sense of connection and belonging among remote team members, virtual team-building activities can help create a positive company culture that supports employee well-being and productivity.
Virtual team-building activities can also help improve communication and collaboration among remote teams. By providing opportunities for team members to share ideas, work on projects together, and provide feedback, these activities can help build trust and improve team dynamics. This, in turn, can lead to better collaboration and more effective teamwork, which can drive better business outcomes.
Finally, virtual team-building activities can help reduce turnover rates and improve employee retention. According to a study by LinkedIn, companies that prioritize employee engagement are more likely to retain their employees.
By investing in virtual team-building activities, businesses can improve employee engagement and create a more positive work environment, which can help reduce turnover rates and improve employee retention.
In the following sections, we’ll explore some practical virtual team-building activity ideas and insights that can help you reap the benefits of these activities for your remote team.
Types of Virtual Team-Building Activities
Virtual team-building activities can be classified into three main types: virtual games and icebreakers, HR-initiated programs, and creative virtual events. Each type offers unique benefits for remote teams and can help foster a sense of connection and belonging among team members.
Virtual games and icebreakers.
Games and icebreakers are short, fun, and interactive. These are easy-to-organize activities that can be conducted within a short time frame. These games are typically designed to break the ice, foster team collaboration, and promote friendly competition.
Online platforms like Kahoot!, Quizlet, and TriviaMaker offer a wide variety of games and quizzes that can be customized to fit your team’s interests and goals.
- Two Truths and a Lie: In this game, each team member shares two true statements and one false statement about themselves, and the rest of the team has to guess which statement is false.
- Virtual Scavenger Hunt: A virtual scavenger hunt involves creating a list of items that team members must find in their own homes within a certain time limit. This activity is a fun way to promote team collaboration and creativity.
- Name that Tune: In this game, team members take turns playing a short clip of a song, and the rest of the team has to guess the song title and artist. This activity is a great way to promote friendly competition and can help team members learn more about each other’s musical tastes.
- Online Trivia: Platforms like Kahoot! and Quizlet offer a wide variety of trivia games that can be customized to fit your team’s interests and goals.
- Virtual Charades: In virtual charades, team members take turns acting out a word or phrase without speaking, and the rest of the team has to guess what they are trying to communicate. This activity is a fun way to promote team collaboration and creativity.
- Virtual Bingo: Online platforms like Bingo Maker offer a virtual bingo game that can be customized with your team’s goals and interests. This activity is a fun way to engage remote team members and promote friendly competition.
- Virtual Coffee Breaks: Schedule regular virtual coffee breaks where team members can connect and chat over coffee or tea. This activity can help team members feel more connected and foster a sense of community and camaraderie.
- Remote Office Tour: Host a remote office tour where team members can show off their home office setups and share tips for working from home. This activity can help team members learn from each other and foster a sense of community and collaboration.
- Virtual Pet Show-and-Tell: Host a virtual pet show-and-tell where team members can introduce their furry (or not-so-furry) friends and share stories about their pets. This activity can help team members bond over shared interests.
HR-initiated programs like virtual mentorship programs, wellness challenges, and learning and development workshops can help build trust, collaboration, and problem-solving skills among remote team members. These programs are often designed and led by HR professionals and can be customized to fit your team’s needs and goals.
- Virtual Mentorship Program: A mentorship program is a great way to connect remote team members and build a sense of community. Pair team members with a mentor who can provide guidance and support.
- Wellness Challenge: A wellness challenge is a fun way to promote healthy habits among remote team members. Create a challenge that encourages team members to exercise, eat well, and practice mindfulness.
- Learning and Development Workshops: Learning and development workshops are a great way to promote professional growth among remote team members. Offer workshops on topics like leadership, communication, and project management.
- Virtual Book Club: A virtual book club is a great way to promote team collaboration and learning. Choose a book that aligns with your team’s interests and goals and schedule regular virtual meetings to discuss the book.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community and promote team collaboration. Identify virtual volunteer opportunities that align with your team’s values and encourage team members to participate.
- Recognition and Rewards Program: A recognition and rewards program is a great way to promote team morale and motivation. Offer rewards and recognition for team members who go above and beyond in their work.
Creative virtual events.
Creative virtual events are more elaborate and require more preparation and effort from the HR and employee engagement team. These events are designed to foster a sense of connection and belonging among remote team members and are typically conducted on a larger scale.
- Virtual Happy Hour: In this event, team members gather online to socialize and bond over drinks and snacks. This is a great way to promote team bonding and boost morale.
- Online Cooking Class: In this event, a professional chef or even a skilled team member leads the participants in a cooking class. Participants can learn new recipes and cooking techniques.
- Virtual Talent Show: In this event, team members can showcase their hidden talents and perform for the rest of the team. Participants can sing, dance, play music, or showcase any other talent they may have.
- Virtual Escape Room: In this event, the team is “locked” in a virtual room and has to solve a series of puzzles to escape. Participants can work together to solve the puzzles and escape the room before time runs out.
- Virtual Paint Night: In this event, team members are led in a virtual painting session by a professional artist. This is a great way to promote creativity and teamwork.
- Virtual Team Building Olympics: This event is a fun competition that can involve a variety of games and challenges. Participants can compete individually or in teams, and the event can be customized to suit the team’s interests and preferences.
- Virtual Wine Tasting: In this event, a wine expert guides the team through a virtual wine tasting session. Participants can learn about different wines and wine regions, and the event can be customized to suit the team’s preferences.
While virtual games and icebreakers are great for quick team bonding, creative virtual events provide a unique opportunity for remote teams to come together and engage in fun and memorable experiences.
Meanwhile, HR-initiated programs usually have a focus on learning, development, and recognition, helping create a sense of community and belonging among their remote teams, leading to higher employee engagement and retention rates.
The key is to find activities for your remote team that are not only engaging and fun, but also help team members connect and build relationships with their colleagues.
How to Plan Virtual Team-Building Activities
Planning virtual team-building activities can be challenging, but it’s important to get it right to ensure that the activities are engaging, effective, and well-received by team members. Here are some tips for planning successful virtual team-building activities:
- Determine the objectives. Before planning any virtual team-building activities, it’s important to determine the objectives. Are you trying to promote team bonding, improve communication, or develop specific skills? Determining the objectives will help you choose the right activities and ensure that they are effective.
- Choose the right activities. There are many virtual team-building activities to choose from, but not all of them will be right for your team. Choose activities that are aligned with your objectives and that your team members will enjoy. Consider their interests, preferences, and any cultural or social differences that may impact the activities.
- Set clear guidelines and expectations. Before the virtual team-building activities, set clear guidelines and expectations for the participants. Explain the purpose of the activity, the rules and procedures, and any technical requirements. This will help ensure that everyone is on the same page and that the activity runs smoothly.
- Test the technology. Virtual team-building activities rely heavily on technology, so it’s important to test the technology beforehand to ensure that it’s working properly. Test the audio and video quality, internet connection, and any software or platforms that will be used for the activities.
- Provide follow-up and feedback. After the virtual team-building activities, provide follow-up and feedback to the participants. Ask for their feedback and suggestions for future activities, and provide any necessary follow-up or resources to help them continue to develop their skills and relationships.
By following these tips, you can plan successful virtual team-building activities that promote team bonding, improve communication, and develop specific skills among remote teams.
Success Stories in Virtual Team-Building
Many companies have successfully implemented virtual team-building activities and have seen positive results. Here are some success stories:
- Microsoft has implemented a variety of virtual team-building activities, including virtual trivia games, virtual happy hours, and virtual escape rooms. These activities have helped the team stay connected and engaged despite working remotely.
- Shopify, an e-commerce platform, typically rolls out virtual fitness challenges, where team members compete to see who can walk the most steps or complete the most workouts. This has helped improve team members’ physical health and has also fostered friendly competition and team bonding.
- Zapier, a software automation company, employs virtual team-building activities such as virtual book clubs and virtual game nights. These activities have helped team members get to know each other better and have fostered a sense of community among remote workers.
- Netflix has a regular internal virtual “speed-friending” activity, where team members are randomly paired for ten- to fifteen-minute virtual chats. This has helped team members get to know each other better and has improved communication and collaboration.
- GitHub, a software development platform, has implemented virtual “pair programming” sessions, where team members work together on coding projects in real-time. This has not only helped improve team members’ coding skills, but has also fostered collaboration and teamwork.
- Airbnb has virtual “happy hours” where team members can join in on a virtual video call and share a drink or snack together.
- InVision, a digital product design platform, is known for its virtual “show and tell” sessions, where team members share their latest design work with the rest of the team. This has helped improve collaboration and has also fostered a sense of community among remote workers.
- Hootsuite, a social media management platform, has implemented a virtual “pictionary” game, where team members draw pictures on a virtual whiteboard and the rest of the team tries to guess what they are drawing. This has helped improve team members’ creativity and has also fostered friendly competition and team bonding.
Next Steps For Business Owners and Online Entrepreneurs
After learning about the benefits and types of virtual team-building activities, as well as success stories from other businesses, it’s time to take the next steps in implementing these activities within your own remote team.
Here are some key considerations for business owners and online entrepreneurs:
Assess your team's needs.
Before planning any virtual team-building activities, it’s important to understand your team’s needs and preferences. Consider sending out a survey or having a one-on-one conversation with each team member to get a better sense of what types of activities they would enjoy and benefit from.
Set clear goals.
Determine what you hope to achieve with your virtual team-building activities. Do you want to improve communication, foster a sense of community, or enhance productivity? Having clear goals will help guide your planning and ensure that your activities are aligned with your overall objectives.
Don’t be afraid to think outside the box when planning virtual team-building activities. Consider activities like virtual escape rooms, online trivia games, or even virtual karaoke sessions. The more creative and engaging your activities are, the more likely your team members are to participate and enjoy them.
Give yourself plenty of time to plan and prepare for your virtual team-building activities. Consider factors like time zones, internet connectivity, and accessibility to ensure that all team members can participate.
Evaluate and adjust.
After each virtual team-building activity, take some time to evaluate its success and gather feedback from team members. Use this information to make adjustments and improvements for future activities.
A Final Word on Virtual Team-Building Activities
In today’s competitive job market, attracting and retaining top talent is more important than ever. While offering competitive salaries and benefits packages is certainly important, it’s not the only factor that top candidates consider when evaluating job opportunities.
Company culture is becoming an increasingly important factor in attracting and retaining top talent. Potential hires want to work for companies that share their values, provide opportunities for growth and development, and foster a positive and supportive work environment.
Virtual team-building activities can play a key role in building a strong company culture. By providing opportunities for team members to connect, collaborate, and bond, these activities can help foster a sense of belonging and create a positive work environment.
Furthermore, a strong company culture can also have a positive impact on employee engagement and productivity. When team members feel valued and supported, they are more likely to be motivated and committed to their work, which can lead to better performance and business outcomes.
So, while virtual team-building activities may seem like a small investment, they can have a big impact on your company’s ability to attract and retain top talent, as well as on overall employee engagement, productivity, and success.
In conclusion, virtual team-building activities are not only a fun and engaging way to bring remote teams together, but they also play an important role in creating a positive company culture, attracting and retaining top talent, and driving business success.
If you’re looking to build a strong and productive remote team, GruntWorkers can help. Our team of experienced professionals can provide you with the support you need to find the best remote workers for your business. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you source and manage your remote team.